We took a few minutes from the chaotic schedule Dan O’Saben, our Executive Creative Director, to ask him some of life’s most important questions.
Luckily, he had the perfect prop in mind for his impromptu photo…
1. Is it better to be perfect and late, or good and on time?
Good is the enemy of great, and no one can create something perfect. The answer is to be the very best you can with the resources at your disposal, and try to create something that surprises and delights your audience.
2. If you could only choose one song to play every time you walked into a room for the rest of your life, what would it be?
This is an impossible question! So many songs… “Boom Boom” by John Lee Hooker? “Do You Realize” by The Flaming Lips? “CH-Check It Out” by The Beastie Boys?
I do have the song I want to be played at my funeral (not to bum anyone out): “A Little Bit of Rain” by Fred Neil.
3. When was the last time you lost track of time?
I can usually tell what time it is, within 15 minutes, even if I wake from sleeping in the middle of the night. That being said, it’s easy to get lost in a creative challenge, look up, and wonder where the last 2 hours went.
4. If we were talking to your best friend, what is the one thing they would say you need to work on?
Taking more time for myself. But really, the goal for me is to be present in the here and now, and to bring 100% to whatever I am doing, so I don’t know. Ask them!
5. Top 3 people you would invite to a dinner party (alive or dead).
I assume that you mean famous people- if not, I’d pick Chick and Clara Emerson, and Evelyn O’Saben, my maternal/paternal grandparents who are no longer around. That would be a fun one!
Famous people: Alice Cooper, Abraham Lincoln, Walt Disney
6. Why are pizza boxes square?
Why are pizza slices triangles? That should be the question keeping you up at night.
7. What is the one memorable accomplishment of your career?
The next one.